• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

You know you are a writer when...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You know you are a fantasy writer when...when talking to others often begins with the phrase, 'in my world...'

You know you're a writer when you find meaning in trivial things, and successfully weave these things together, creating a vibrant scene.

You know you're a writer when you start thinking about how you would narrate the actions you do and the words you say as you're saying them.

Gallio

Troubadour
Good lord...the hoops I have jumped through to show the time without referencing a clock.
One of the annoying things about the English language is that there seems to be no word for the period between midnight and dawn. I discovered that Spanish has a word madrugada, but my stories are not set in Spain.
There is the phrase 'small hours', but I want to avoid the word hour -- it would be too much of a coincidence if people living in a galaxy far, far away divided the day/night period in 24 parts.
There is also 'graveyard shift', but it's too culturally and occupationally specific.

One of the annoying things about the English language is that there seems to be no word for the period between midnight and dawn. I discovered that Spanish has a word madrugada, but my stories are not set in Spain.
There is the phrase 'small hours', but I want to avoid the word hour -- it would be too much of a coincidence if people living in a galaxy far, far away divided the day/night period in 24 parts.
There is also 'graveyard shift', but it's too culturally and occupationally specific.
There is a term: twilight

I know, but people living in a galaxy far far away are not going to be speaking English in the first place.

At some point you have to be realistic if you want people from Earth to read your book.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Nautically 00.00 - 04.00 is the Middle Watch
And Lauds Mass is at 03.00 so "around Lauds" [but then they've have to be Christian...