• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What makes you give up on a book?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
The Belgariad has comical stupid fights? I dont remember that. And for that it was tossed across the room?

I seem to recall a dragon getting loose and all the adults doing nothing in the Harry Potter verse. That seemed pretty stupid to me.

Gurkhal

Auror
The Belgariad has comical stupid fights? I dont remember that. And for that it was tossed across the room?

I seem to recall a dragon getting loose and all the adults doing nothing in the Harry Potter verse. That seemed pretty stupid to me.
Then it must have been a long time since you read these books. The Angaraks are just comically incompetent and stupid beyond belief, at least in the Belgariad since they do shape up considerably in the Malloreon. They may have a flash of competence now and then but generally I get that they are more of a threat to themselves than to the good guys.

The big "epic" battle in the end of the Belgariad for exampel was the reason my book flew across the room and into a wall. Luckily it was a papperback or else my parents would not have been amused by the dent or mark in said wall.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I managed to get through it without throwing anything against a wall. I dont think my adult self would do that either.

I hope little Garion was okay, though, If I recall, he was kind of a Giant in that final battle.

Gurkhal

Auror
Well...I managed to get through it without throwing anything against a wall. I dont think my adult self would do that either.

I hope little Garion was okay, though, If I recall, he was kind of a Giant in that final battle.

Garion was ok and on my adult re-read I don't take as much issue with Eddings' different take on how to make good villains than what I like to read about.

In my re-read I'm going along for a ride knowing that the driver and I have very different preferences and I leave it at that and enjoy what is good instead of getting bothered with that I don't like.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
All I remember about the Belgariad is... rrrrrr ummmmm, the series name! I doubt I could read them as an adult, but I at least made it through the first series as a youngster.